Edwin T. Clemmons (1826-1896), was a grandson of Peter Clemmons, founder of the village of Clemmons. As a boy, Edwin was intrigued by the stagecoaches running through the area and the 1870 census lists Edwin Clemmons as a stage and mail contractor, owning several stage lines based in Salem and running to points such as Clemmons, High Point, Raleigh, Asheville and Wytheville, VA.
The stagecoach business continued to grow for Edwin as indicated by orders for new coaches from the Abbot-Downing Company based in Concord, New Hampshire. His last and largest coach, a nine-passenger Concord Coach, was purchased from this company in 1872. He named it the “Hattie Butner” after his wife, Harriet “Hattie” Butner, whom he married in 1858. Today, restored stagecoach is on display in the Village Hall.